Michael A. Murphy
Getting to know Mike Murphy:
I became a lawyer because...probably because my father and several of my uncles were lawyers. Debating issues was always a big part of our family. My brother, for example, is a career diplomat and probably was inspired by the same background. My sister is an attorney as well.
What I like most about the law is...helping injured people and their families. I especially like the fact that most cases we work on are on a contingent fee basis where our own compensation is tied to what we are able to do to help the client. I think that helps build a better relationship between the attorney and client.
My most rewarding case...so far, I would have to point to two. One was a medical malpractice case in which I worked with Phil Ignelzi in obtaining a substantial jury verdict on behalf of the wife and three small children of a young father who went to a local hospital with chest pain and died the next morning, after being sent home from the hospital completely misdiagnosed. I still see the family on occasion and it is very rewarding to know that we were able to help the family go on without their husband and father. The children will be able to attend college and the mother at least does not have to worry about whether she can pay the bills.
The other case was a workers' compensation case involving a worker diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after having been involved in the cleanup of the US Air Flight 427 crash scene in 1994. In addition to simply helping this individual by winning the case it was gratifying to me that while we were litigating the case the client had some testing done, which even the defense doctor had to admit provided objective evidence that the individual clearly had suffered a mental injury. Often these cases are not given credence by insurance companies, judges, employers, and even the public, but we were fortunate in this case that sophisticated testing demonstrate the veracity of my client's problems.
Someone I really admire is...Abraham Lincoln. His ability to deal with tragedies, both personal and professional, with determination, dignity and even with a sense of humor, makes him a figure whose qualities are timeless.
My favorite quote is...a line from the movie Josey Wales. Clint Eastwood is a rebel soldier delivering a eulogy for a young man killed in battle. Although not a religious man, he asks God to receive his fallen comrade by stating: "I rode with him and I've got no complaints." I hope the same can be said of me one day.
When not at work, I enjoy...attending my children's soccer, basketball, and baseball games and then updating their Uncle Neal.. I am also a huge Bruce Springsteen fan and have been since 1975.
Areas of Practice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- State Appellate Practice
- White Collar Crimes
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Motor Vehicle Defects
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) - 1989
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: George I. Bloom Scholarship, 1987 (1st Year Award)
- Honors: Benjamin H. Teplitz Award, 1989 (Highest GPA-- 3rd Year)
- Law Review: Law Review, University of Pittsburgh, Member
- Duquesne University
- B.A. - 1981
- North Allegheny High School - 1977
- Quinn v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Transportation, 1998 WL 667423 (Pa. Comwlth.)
- Buzzelli v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 674 A.2d 1186 (Pa. Commw. 1996)
- Hyrcza v. West Penn Allegheny Health System, 2009 WL 1877500 (Pa. Super.)
- Phillips v. County of Allegheny, 515 F. 3d 224 (3d Cir. 2008)
- Gann v. W.C.A.B. (MBS Management), 792 A. 2d 701 (Pa. Commw. 2002)
- United States v. Cross, 128 F. 3d 145 (3d Cir. 1997)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Academy of Trial Lawyers, Allegheny County
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- USMC, Captain, 1982 - 1988